La Pietra Coalition Research Internship Summer 2012 – Apply by June 4th!
This summer, La Pietra Coalition seeks a talented Research Intern. The Research Intern will primarily support the Coalition with literature synthesis and secondary data analysis on issues related to one or more of our 5 Working Groups: Labor Policy and Practice; Access to Finance; Education and Training; Entrepreneurship; and Legal and Social Status. The intern may also provide programmatic/administrative tasks as needed.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Thoughtfully handle practical research assignments from expert thought-leaders
- Quickly draft and edit documents with professional quality
- Lucidly analyze global, comparative, and country-specific data to support advocacy work related to global women’s economic empowerment
- History of research experience – as an aide, within a team, or independently – including literature reviews, crafting and executing a research plan, and/or constructing an in-depth written analysis or argument
- Prior educational, co-curricular, professional experience with entrepreneurship and/or economic empowerment, preferably related to women
- Demonstrated interest or articulate rationale for interest in women’s issues
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to conceive the bigger picture
- Organizational and time management skills
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to endure and thrive given an ambiguous assignment
- Ability to work independently
- Maturity to work successfully in a high-pressure environment with patience, good humor, grace, and a positive attitude
- Degree in Economics, International Development, International Relations/Affairs, Gender Studies, Regional Studies (Latin America, Africa, Asia, or Middle East & North Africa), or another related discipline
- Experience writing for publications or online, including blogs, columns, or op-eds
- Strong Excel skills
- Content background in one or more of our 5 Working Group areas of focus a plus (Labor Policy and Practice; Access to Finance; Education and Training; Entrepreneurship; and Legal and Social Status)
- Languages (French, Spanish) and international experience a plus
The position will be based at our offices in Washington D.C. The internship requires a minimum of 20 hours/week commitment, but 40 hours/week preferred. Start and end dates are flexible. We welcome submissions from a current B.A. or Master’s student or a recent graduate.
Position is unpaid.
Send résumé, cover letter (including weekly hours of availability), and one 5- to 10-page writing sample to Julia Billings: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis but accepted no later than June 4, 2012. Potential candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Only complete submissions will be reviewed. Please use “La Pietra Summer 2012 Research Internship” as the subject of the e-mail. No phone calls please.